Marketing is vital for any business that wants to thrive in today’s competitive marketplace. And while there are many different marketing strategies that companies can use to reach their target audiences, Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is one of the most effective. Read on to discover more about SEM.
What Is Search Engine Marketing?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) uses paid advertising to improve the visibility and ranking of a website in search engine results pages (SERPs).
There are two primary components of SEM: on-page optimization and paid advertising. On-page optimization improves your website’s visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs).
What Are Some Examples of SEM?
There are many different types of SEM campaigns that businesses can run, but some of the most common include:
Google Ads is one of the most popular forms of SEM. Advertisers can use Google Ads to create text, image, and video ads that appear on Google’s search engine and other websites across the web. Advertisers bid on keywords that they want their ad to show up for.
Much like Google Ads, Bing Ads is an advertising platform allowing advertisers to create text, image, and video ads on Bing’s search engine and other websites across the web. Bing will display the advertiser’s ad in the search results. The advertiser will then pay Bing whenever someone clicks on their ad.
SEM vs. SEO
While both SEM and SEO can be used to improve your visibility in search results, they are two different channels with different goals. SEM is a paid marketing channel, which means you will need to invest money to see results.
Conversely, SEO is a free marketing channel that allows you to improve your website’s ranking in search results organically.
Who Uses SEM?
Some businesses that use SEM include:
- Retailers: For example, a clothing retailer could use SEM to target users searching for women’s or men’s clothing.
- Service providers: Service providers can use SEM to target users searching for particular services.
- Online businesses: Online businesses employ SEM to look for online shoppers.
- Local businesses: For example, a restaurant could use SEM to fetch users searching for restaurants in Chicago.
- National brands: National brands embrace SEM to reach a broad audience of potential customers in their jurisdiction.
What Are the Pros and Cons of SEM?
Pros of Search Engine Marketing:
- Only pay for clicks: You don’t need to spend anything if you don’t get any clicks, making advertising a very cost-effective way.
- Highly targeted ads: You can precisely target ads to match the search terms that people are using, making it more likely they’ll be interested in what you’re selling.
- Boost performance quickly: Unlike SEO, which can take months to show results, SEM can immediately impact your bottom line.
- Scalable: You can scale your SEM efforts as needed to accommodate changes in your business or budget.
Cons of Search Engine Marketing:
- It’s costly: It can become quite expensive if you’re not careful with your budget.
- It can be competitive: Because SEM is such an effective way to reach potential customers, it can be pretty competitive, making it difficult to stand out from the competitive market.
- Time-consuming: SEM can be quite time-consuming, especially if you’re new to the process and want to maintain an effective campaign.
- Ads are interruptive: Ads sometimes can be annoying.
How Does SEM Marketing Work?
The key to successful SEM is understanding how the search engines work and the factors influencing search engine ranking. By targeting keywords relevant to your product or service, you can improve your chances of appearing in the top results for those keywords.
Start With Keyword Research
The first step in SEM marketing is keyword research. You must identify the keywords potential customers use to search for your product or service.
Build Your Campaigns and Ads
Once you have a list of keywords, you can create ad campaigns targeting those keywords. When someone searches for one of your keywords, your ad will appear in the search results.
Bid in the Ad Auction
Advertisers choose keywords they want to bid on and then set a budget for their campaign. The amount they are willing to spend per day is their daily budget.
Optimize Based on the Data
The last step to identifying a successful SEM marketing campaign is understanding what your customers are searching for and how they behave online.
How Much Does SEM Cost?
The cost of SEM depends on various factors, including your campaign’s size and scope, goals, and budget. Small budgets can be as little as a few hundred dollars per month, while large budgets can be in the tens or even hundreds of thousands per month.
SEM tools are critical to any effective digital marketing strategy. They help you research and analyze your target market. Ui.Marketing is a powerful SEM tool that can help you boost your online visibility and effectively reach your target customers. With Ui.Marketing, you can research, report, and analyze your target market.
Why Choose AdCellerant Over the Other Guys?
Why go with a company specializing in only SEM when you can get the whole gamut of support from AdCellerant? We have the experience and expertise to help you navigate the ever-changing world of Search Engine Marketing. We can help you create an effective SEM strategy to drive traffic to your website and help you achieve your business goals.
If you’re a partner of AdCellerant and want to explore the possibilities of SEM for your business, reach out to your designated Account Manager. Not a current partner? No problem! Reach out to us, and we’ll set up a time to discuss your needs and determine how we can help you achieve your unique goals.